Why Punish Me? Augustine’s sinful lust unwrapped
Why Punish Me? – Mike Moloney’s thought-provoking book gives firsthand insight into the rites and rituals that threaten child safety today
- British Social Attitudes Survey (2018) Religion, Identity, behaviour and belief over two decades, P6. Retrieved 4 Feb 2021 from https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39293/1_bsa36_religion.pdf
- Harvard University, Center on the Developing Child, Brain Architecture (May 1, 2020) https://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/brain-architecture/
- Church of England. Common Worship and The Confiteor (Confession). (Mar 11, 2020) https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/common-worship/holy-communion#mm7cHoly Communion
- Dr Peter Brierley (2018) Brierley Consultancy Nominal Christians: Some Stats from the U.K. from Broad Application. Notional Christians were church members who “believed in God but who never attended church (except perhaps at Christmas or Easter),” while notional Christians were those who “believed in God but who never attended church and do not necessarily make any effort to follow the Christian ethic (perhaps because they confuse ‘Christianity’ with ‘Britishness’. (Jan 25, 2018) https://europeanmission.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/nominal-cians-0218.pdf
- House of Commons Briefing paper Number 07167 Religious Education in Schools (England), The Education Act 1996 requires all pupils in England and Wales to take part in a daily act of Collective Worship unless they have been explicitly withdrawn by their parents. Section 375(3). ‘All maintained schools without a designated religious character must provide a daily act of broadly Christian collective worship for their pupils.’ P25; ( Oct 10, 2019)
- TeacherTapp. Teachers are losing their religion – Part one C: How Many Schools Do The Legally-Required Daily Acts Of Worship? Collective Worship ‘…is adhered to in nearly all Anglican and Catholic primaries, and nearly half of secular primaries.’ (RI in Primary schools Jul 23, 2019) https://teachertapp.co.uk/teachers-are-losing-their-religion-how-religious-are-teachers
- UK House of Commons Briefing Paper Number 06972 Faith Schools in England: FAQs, P18 ‘In January 2019, around 1.9 million pupils were taught in state-funded faith schools (28% of primary and 18% of secondary pupils).’ (Dec 20, 2019)
- Media company Ten Ten Resources produces prayers for Collective Worship and distributes them to schools for an annual subscription of £588.00. Led by a teacher or cleric, every week infants recite: The Penitential Act. “I am sorry for the times I have done wrong, …please forgive me and have mercy on me.” (Typical Resources for Schools, Jun 29, 2020). (May 1, 2020) https://www.tentenresources.co.uk/sunday-liturgy-for-families
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) Grooming ‘The relationship a groomer builds can take different forms …A dominant and persistent figure… to make a child feel guilt and shame.’ (May 24, 2020) https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-is-child-abuse/types-of-abuse/grooming/#types
- Christian View. ‘Concupiscence usually refers to sinful physical desire, especially sexual longing or lust.’ (May 1, 2020) https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Concupiscence
- The Confessions of St Augustine (c. 397), Translation by Pusey, Edward B. ‘no one is free from sin in (God’s) sight, not even an infant whose span of earthly life is but a single day’ (Book one, P9); ‘The only innocence in infants is the weakness of their frames; the minds of infants are not innocent.’ (Book one, P10); ‘weltering in filth and scratching off the itch of lust…my infant tongue spake freely to thee’ (Book nine, P128); ‘(infants) being yet little ones and carnal’ (Book twelve, P213).
Also: Answer to the Pelagians, Translation by Roland J. Teske SJ, ‘Who is clean from filth? Not even an infant who has lived one day on earth’ (Book six, P622)
- Yet certain temporal consequences of sin remain in the baptized,…concupiscence. VII.1264:The Grace of Baptism (Catechism of the Catholic Church [CCC])
- The consequences of Adam’s sin for humanity, 411. “Uniquely, (Mary) was preserved from all stain of original sin.” (CCC, Part 1, Section 2, Ch 1, Article 1, Para 7.)
- The Warren Cup, shows paederastic sodomy. 15BC–15AD. © The Trustees of the British Museum.
- A BBC Panorama documentary by Jane Corbin Scandal in the Church of England (Apr 29, 2019). Also: Exposed: The Church’s Darkest Secret. BBC Channel Two short drama documentary (Jan 2020).
- Thomas P Doyle et al. The Sex abuse of minors by priests since AD309: Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes: The Catholic Church’s 2,000 Year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse. (2006) ISBN-10 1566252652
- Office for National Statistics Child sexual abuse in England and Wales: year ending March 2019. Section 1, Main points. ‘In the year ending March 2019, the police in England and Wales recorded 73,260 sexual offences where there are data to identify the victim was a child.’ (Jun 2020)
- Number of clerics in the UK (2019):
Male C of E clergy = 19,560: https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2020-06/Ministry%20Statistics%202019%20report%20FINAL_0.pdf
Male Catholic clergy = 5,250: https://faithsurvey.co.uk/catholics-england-and-wales.html
- UK Independent Inquiry: Child Sexual Abuse, Roman Catholic Church Investigation Report (Nov 2020) Executive Summary. Child sexual abuse is “far from a solely historical issue.” More than 100 allegations of abuse are being reported every year, right up to 2020.
- CBSNews.com “Philomena” and Ireland’s Magdalen Laundries (Nov 20, 2013) https://www.cbsnews.com/news/philomena-and-irelands-magdalen-laundries/
- BBC News Church of England failures ‘allowed child sexual abusers to hide’. (Nov 10, 2020) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54433295